Thursday, September 18, 2008

Home is Where the Heath Is

I grew up in a very hip mid-century environment, my Dad was a struggling architect student when I was young and everything we had in the house was pretty minimal but great design. Over their lifetime my parents slowly collected furniture and home accessories that many years later are still so hip and so collectible. Heath Ceramics played a large part in our daily lives, as serving dishes, platters, covered casseroles, vases, bowls and ashtrays. From a very young age, I remember yearly road trips to Sausalito to the factory to pick up new items. I counted 29 pieces that I have from my family (not including what I gave to my niece), an embarrassment of riches I admit. This December, Heath Ceramics is opening a retail studio here in Los Angeles and I couldn’t be more excited, although I have no business buying any more pieces. The new outpost will be located at 7525 Beverly Boulevard. Along with a retail store, they will also offer a gallery and studio that will focus on ceramic research and small run, custom work. 

No comments: